Saturday, 24 March 2012

Frugal Living - Vinegar As Glass Cleaner

One of the first things I figured Id try to do to save money/environment when it comes to house cleaning is cleaning my glass with Vinegar and Newspaper. I've read about all sorts of cleaning concoctions for all the various rooms of the house but this seemed the easiest to start with.
I decided to try it on a door we have on our backyard patio area. Now I haven't cleaned these windows yet and we just moved in at the beginning of February, but the previous owners had this back room all covered in plastic to seal out the weather and they used it as a smoking room.
Window Before Vinegar
Now some places say to use a spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar & water but I just used straight vinegar since we already had it in a spray bottle for our french fries :P
After 2 rounds of spraying and wiping I got this result:
Window After Vinegar

I must say, I am quite pleased with the results. It was a little streaky after the first attempt but Im going to chalk that up to how-ever-many years of nicotine stains that had amassed on the window.
A word to the wise though, wear some sort of gloves when using newsprint for cleaning windows like this, my nails are still a little black around the edges from the ink.
So in the end I used probably less than .05 worth of vinegar and newspaper from the free issue we get once a week anyways. I ended up doing 2 patio doors and my front door and 1 window this way, and I plan on doing the rest of the windows in the house - well....the ones that we can get open anyways. Some are stuck shut, some are painted shut.....this house needs alot of TLC.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you have the before and after pics lol. I use vinegar all the time in a spray bottle with a bit of water. We love it and it's so cheap! Cheers Mr.CBB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do as well, I keep a spray bottle of it in the kitchen and hubby keeps one in the garage. We use vinegar and baking soda to clean the BBQ grill as well. I did try it to combat ants like I had seen online to do, that sadly didn't work though :(

      Delete