Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Home Made Arrowroot Cookies Recipe

Today's adventure into baking was another easy recipe that I found on the internet. Why the search? After 15 months Peanuts (the baby) has finally sorted out just taking bites of things instead of trying to jam the entire piece of food/object into his mouth. I had purchased Mum Mums before, but I figured if *I* didn't like the taste of it, why should I feed it to baby? Then I remembered Arrowroot Biscuits, I've had them here and there over the years and I don't remember them tasting bad....but then I saw their ingredient list.

Want to see it? Here's Gerbers Arrowroot Cookie ingredient list:
ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, ULTRA LOW LINOLENIC SOYBEAN OIL AND/OR HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, ARROWROOT FLOUR, WHEY (FROM MILK), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, AMMONIUM BICARBONATE, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, VANILLA EXTRACT, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SOY LECITHIN, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (FOR FRESHNESS), ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE 

I highlighted the arrowroot for you...since it's lost in a sea of all kinds of other crap. Don't believe me? Have a peek for yourself.

Now here is the home made versions recipe:

  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
Cream butter or margarine and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Stir remaining ingredients together and add. Mix well.
Roll 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut into any shape you want. Prick with fork. Grease baking sheet. Bake in 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.


 The only change I made to this recipe was a little less sugar and a little water sprinkled in since it seemed to be a very dry recipe.


And voila -
Arrowroot Bats!
Willing to share his Bat Biscuit




No comments:

Post a Comment