Monday, 18 June 2012

Frugal Living - Home Made Laundry Powder

Alright, it's been awhile since I found this idea online but I just finally got all 3 ingredients collected (not that they are hard to come by, I've just been busy and finally got around to it).

First, let us start off by comparing some prices of laundry soap shall we? I'm going to grab prices from Walmart.ca right now as I write this so you can look them up yourself if you want :)
  • Tide Free & Gentle Liquid - 64 loads = $15.95 => 0.24 per load 
  • Gain Powder - 63 loads = $10.97 => 0.17 per load 
  • Home Made - 60 loads = $2.25 => 0.03 per load 
 Now just so you know how I got my price here is the recipe including prices I paid for ingredients:

1 bar of Soap (Fels Naptha, Ivory, Zote, something you made at home,etc)
I paid $1.29 for my bar of Fels Naptha at Wegmans, it was even cheaper at Walmart.
1 cup of Washing Soda (Arm & Hammer is what I bought, don't know other brands)
I paid $3.49 for the box, there is about 9 cups in 1 box. 1 cup = $0.38
1 cup of Borax (20 Mule Team seems to be the go-to brand for this)
I paid $3.79 for the box, there is around 6 cups in 1 box. 1 cup = $0.63

And thats how I came to the price of a batch of the home made detergent. 
Making it cannot possibly be any easier either....

  
Ready to mix up some savings




Use a hand held grater to get that bar of soap into as close-to-powder as a bar of soap will get. I also gave the soap a quick pulse through an old food processor of mine just to make sure it was relatively close to uniform in size/consistency. Mix in 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of the washing soda.

A little lumpy, my borax needing a little TLC
Stir, stir, and stir some more. About 5 minutes.

In its container ready for storage
Voila.
That's it, that's all. This amount is good for about 60 loads since you use only 1 tablespoon per load. If your laundry is *really* dirty, use 2. So even if you end up using 2 scoops every time that means it's still only $0.06 a load! And yes it is HE friendly. The big hype about all these fancy HE washing detergents is a bunch of nonsense, the only thing differant between their soap and top-loading machine soap is HE machines require soaps that make less suds. Since more bubbles does not equal more clean, and this home made is convieniently *very* low-suds it works out perfectly :)

Now....I have laundry to go do.

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered what you needed to make the home-made laundry soap. At $0.03 a load that's a great deal. Thanks for sharing the breakdown and the steps to making the product. Cheers Mr.CBB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem. I think I'm going to branch out and make dishwasher powder as well. I just paid $16 for 72 loads of dishes and that was after a coupon. I know it can be done for cheaper!

      Delete